- 18 September 2013
- DLA Piper LLP, London
Education - School Transport Issues
This is a course for Local Authority Lawyers, Education Officers and anyone else involved with arranging School Transport. As well as looking at the legislation and relevant Court decisions, the Course will deal with the practical implications arising from the High Court Judgements. The policy on school transport has remained largely unchanged since the Education Act 1944 but the government has embarked on a review of current provision to ensure that best practice is shared by all authorities no doubt with a longer term view to reduce overall expenditure that currently exceeds £1 billion each year.
Benefits of the course:
- Know and understand the legislation dealing with School Transport
- Be able to confidently deal with problems when they arise
- Be able to answer parents queries as to why they are not entitled to free school transport confidently
This course will cover such issues such as:
- When is there a duty to provide free School Transport?
- When is there discretion to arrange transport to School for a pupil?
- What is a safe route?
- Do pupils need to be accompanied or not?
- How is the distance measured?
- Are pupils entitled to assistance if they attend after school clubs?
- In what form is the assistance provided?
- Is there an appeal process if assistance is turned down?
- Parents Rights to state their preference for a School – How does this impact on School Transport
- What is a reasonable distance?
- What happens if parents prefer a school outside the statutory walking distance but there is a school within the walking distance?
- Impact of the Human Rights Act 1998 on the provision of free School Transport
- What about future provision?
Preeya Chopra, London Borough of Croydon
" Very informative course - lots to take back to my authority "
- Adult - Children\'s - Social Services
- Community Safety
- Data Protection & Freedom of Information
- Highways and Rights of Way
- Management, Skills Training and Career Development
- Members & Governance
- Partnering & Procurement
- Trading Standards